Ok..tayyib(ok)..maashi(I'm with you)...tayyaib..ok. yalla(hurry). bye........
The way that people hang up a phone in this country never ceases to amuse me. It's hilarious how boisterous and animated a conversation can be for 5 whole minutes. hands waving. loud shouting. questions fired. Then when they go to hang up...the 1 minute ritual of oks and goodbyes that become more and more mumbled until the phone is disconnected. There's no straight up good-bye see you later, phone call done. It's just a series of "I'm with you, I agree, ok, yes, yes, ok, I'll see you, mumble, mumble, click".
It doesn't do well for my need for closure--I need to know people are done! I also have started doing it with the foreigners I'm talking with..but they don't always seem ok with the fact that I just cut off the phone in the middle of mumblings. We Americans. We like a good pronounced ending.
Personally, I'm starting to love the faded conversations. Sometimes you end up talking to people who will keep talking forever, or never know how to wrap up a conversation. Introducing the faded conversation totally works and gets you off the line--and saves your phone credit from being eaten up.

No comments:
Post a Comment