Friday, November 2, 2012

When we have nothing

I've been reading the news reports daily that are coming out of the east coast. My parents still don't have electricity and they are being told they may not until the 11th. There are gas shortages and driving restrictions with fights breaking out at gas stations. Police guards are set up to monitor prices and people. It's crazy how scared and nervous people get when they fear their endless supply isn't endless anymore.
I just read a "friends" post on Facebook today about taking her kids to a restaurant for breakfast and they hated it. While in NY there are people going to three grocery stores to finally find milk. Even more there are people still stranded in their homes. Let's change our perspective even more and enter a refugee camp. Where people struggle to find work and would buy milk if they could. But they don't have three grocery stores to go to even if they did have the money.
I'm not in any way downplaying the events that happened with Sandy. So many people lots homes and loved ones. But I guess it still shocks me when crazy things like this happen in our world and things continue on as normal for the other 90% not affected. Facebook posts about not liking a breakfast come out and meanwhile people wish they had breakfast. I'm just as guilty. Hearing stories of people's families in Syria and going home and wishing I could eat at Chipotles.
I wonder if this experience will cause people to relate to people around the world with no heat, no electricity, no 24/7 food service. Or will in three months as electricity comes back in and supplies come back will they forget what's it like to not have everything?
Just things I'm thinking. I'm also realizing that it's soon to be cold season here(yes my desert city gets COLD!) and we don't have the luxury of heating systems, just cold cinder blocks. I got out my box of layers the other night. Thankful for my layers and for my electric heater. It's way more than what some people have.

No comments: