Last Saturday Emily and I ran the infamous half-marathon that we've been training for for months! I think I could have definitely trained better and been a little bit more hard core, but all in all I think we both did an amazing job. We finished the race...came in 2000 something out of 3000. That's not half bad if you ask me. At about mile 8 (which mile 8-10 were probably the WORST miles ever) you've ran for 7 long miles and you realize that you still have 5 to 6 more left...awful.
Anyways..mile 8. I was thinking about how amazing it is that Em and I were running this. Fifteen years ago my hip joint decided to slip out of the socket-2 surgeries, 1 year of crutches, and 10 years of recovery later, I finally am running again without to much pain. And then there's Emily, recently recovered from back surgery a year and a half ago, whom the doctor said would never run again. So there you go. Two crazies running a half-marathon because we were told we never would.
It was so fun though-minus the tiring run. It was so fun standing at the starting line, anticipation and nerves rumbling through the crowd. It was fun to see the age ranges of people, the different clothes, food belts, water bottles, ipods, that people ran with. I will say this though-intermittent runners are so NOT fun. There was a huge group of them that pretty much took over the whole pathway. They would catch up to Emily and I..then stop and walk causing us to have to navigate through them. Then just when we'd think we were clear of them, they would catch up to us and plow us over. We finally got away from them, but for a while by the looks on both Emily and I's faces I thought someone was going down---"ooops sorry to trip you--didn't see you there"
Thank you for all of your support! It was so encouraging to receive all your txts the day of the race pushing us on. We almost HAD to run the race because we had so many people back in Redding who were more excited than we were about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment