Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Life of a Nomad


While some people my age are buying houses, raising families, and settling down, I am sitting here trying to fit all my belongings into two 44 pound suitcases. I've gone through piles of shirts about 10 times. Each time removing one that I've decided that maybe I don't really need. I've gone through lotions and hair products deciding which is the ONE I can't live without. Shoes are the hardest-I love shoes-and its hard when you are about to travel to a very hot and very cold country. But yes, I've narrowed it down to practicality, though still trying really hard not to eliminate fashion. But I have walked the streets of NYC enough to know that yes, sometimes you just have to do that.

For the longest time I have been able to fit all my belongings into my car..and I've done that twice..as I've driven across the United States..twice. But by the end of next week, I will no longer be able to do that, because I won't have a car. I am in no way attached to the car I'm currently driving, so parting with it isn't all that sad. It's just the principle of the matter that I'm finding harder to deal with. Besides my Macbook, my car is the only thing that I own really worth anything. I've realized it's my last security blanket, and I'm having a very hard time letting it go. It has to go, because there are people that want it, there are loans to be paid off, and really.....I don't NEED it. But here in America, our cars are our identity, they display our financial status, they are the very essence of our independence.

But I chose this life and in some ways it also chose me, so I can't complain. In fact, I'm really excited about this new adventure, and I wouldn't have it any other way....
2 suitcases=40kilos...1 computer...1 personal item....
.....all in a day of a life of...

3 comments:

Julia said...

this makes me excited! and dont worry, because if you leave anything behind it is fairly easy to get things here aka i kind of regretted using my bag space for conditioner... :) and wish that i had included more walking-friendly shoes! that's about all the advice i can think of-- ooh, makeup that you like. it's very expensive here!

sara [at] journey of doing said...

I'm excited for your newest adventure, but I can only imagine the rush of feelings you're going through!

I remember trying to pack everything into 2 suitcases when I moved to Italy, too... It's HARD!!! (Especially when you're going to be experiencing a myriad of seasons....)

You're almost there!

Diana said...

So proud of you! With everything I'm getting rid of I don't think I would be able to do this to the extent that you have. Blessings on your trip!