Monday, November 16, 2009

Safe

"Happy"-Leona Lewis

I really like this song. No, it doesn't totally fit, but there are some good power lines in it, that make some really good points, which I love. The beginning is really good.

There's something to be said for how boring life is when you're living it on the safe side. Afraid of getting hurt, afraid of change, afraid of things that could happen. All that to say, I've never considered myself to be one of those people, but I think we all struggle with fear, and I especially struggle with trust. The Lord is teaching me, as it seems he always is, about trusting him and what that kind of life means. For me, it's not standing by the side and watching life go by. He's been giving me new passions, new dreams, and reopening old ones. It's an exciting place to be, but I'm completely freaked out.

I remember the summer after I graduated from college. I lived in a house with 6 girls and I remember I came home from work one Friday at noon having worked a full day already. The house was empty, which was a rare thing. And I remember all of sudden reality hit. I was completely freaked out by the fact that in one short month I'd be moving to Thailand for a year. I remember then realizing that deep down, this life of stepping out in faith is what I wanted. As freaked out as I was, I wouldn't trade this life in for anything. I remember telling the Lord, I'll go anywhere. I'll do anything to serve him no matter what it meant.

Be careful when you say that....because since then its been a crazy roller coaster ride. When the Lord has a person willing to go anywhere and do anything, he wants to know if they really mean it. And so begins the process of stripping motivations, expectations, intentions, character, and personality all for the purpose of shaping a heart after Him.

Still wouldn't trade this life in.....because stepping out in faith, and trusting the leading of the Lord may look like a scary thing, but really it's the safest place I could possibly be.