Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ode to my Passport


Dear Passport,

I remember when I first met you. I was 17 and had been trapped in this foreign country for 4 years. I was anxious to go back to my place of birth, and you made that all possible. And ever since then, it's been nothing but amazing airplane rides and random border crossings since. We've been through a lot these last 10 years. Some good times, some hard times, some life threatening times, and some really really fun times. We've made some amazing memories together.

Together we have traveled on at least 100 airplanes, landed in 12 countries(some more than once), 5 continents, met hundreds of people, learned 5 languages, gone through crazy security searches, and cried millions of tears. I even had to make you thicker because you ran out of room for all the stamps. You have made my life so happy. So much of my life could not have been lived without you. You have been my one constant companion all these years. So thank you.

I will miss you greatly my dear passport. I can only hope that your replacement will help me exceed our accomplishments.

But I will say, it will be nice to finally have a picture that looks like me. For some reason everybody has a hard time believing that the girl in the picture is actually me. It's not your fault though, I do tend to change my hairstyle quite often.

So long little blue book. For a good 4-6 weeks I will not have the option of packing up and leaving on a jet plane. I hope that I survive.


Good bye. Adios. Shalom. Salaam allay kum. Dasvidania. Sawatdee.

4 comments:

JohnMichaelHinton said...

I loved this blog! I realized my passport had expired earlier this year and it was like a death. I am now waiting for my new passport (that should arrive this next Monday) and I want to check my mail box everyday to see if it arrives early. It's like it's December 23 and I'm 8 years old!

Reading your blog made me feel like I'm not alone for my wife doesn't get the big deal if I don't have one.

p.s. I get to travel to Taiwan with my new friend, have any travel plans for yours?

Jen said...

whoa! so sad, this reminds me of my post to my last paper ever, haha so funny. I loved this. Well maybe with your new passport we can travel together somewhere?.... maybe if you move to jordan i can come with you to move you in?? or something. love you

bETH vAUGHN said...

awwww...

you should frame it or something. let's be creative when I come visit.

xoxo

Kelley said...

That first passport use was a visit to us in Ecuador - yay!