Friday, June 26, 2009

One time, I cut my nails..


My nails are really long right now...I even painted them recently. It took several different color choices because there's fake-looking and ridiculous hi-I'm-retired-in-Florida-fake-looking.

For those of you who knew me way back when I used to paint my nails a ton! I used to own a bucket..yes a huge bucket of nail polish. Then I got over it...probably around the time I dyed my hair black..pierced my lip..and wore thrift store T-shirts everyday.

Now I never paint my nails because they look so ridiculously fake when I do..and fake nails are really not my personality. But lately it's been fun to have them painted. I talk with my hands..and its really fun to watch the person I'm talking to get REALLY distracted by my nails. Super funny.

I've always had long nails. Even in elementary school..adding anxiety to all the males in my class when we used to play tag....girls vs. boys.

Not only were the boys hating these nails, but my piano teachers were also not liking it so much. I honestly don't know how I got away with never cutting my nails for the piano. From 2nd grade to 12th grade I played that piano...with teachers telling me I needed to cut my nails..but I never did. I think I played just fine with them...but yes..I probably would have been able to play even better if I had cut the clickers off.

But one summer I did cut them...it was the summer I decided I was going to play the guitar. I forget who inspired me since everyone back in that day at Simpson played the guitar..and I mean everyone.

So I got my dad's guitar..borrowed a ton of music from my friend...and realized with dismay that there was no way I'd be able to play this instrument with my nails. So I cut them. Only on one hand though(I wasn't fully dedicated yet).

I can honestly say I tried. I don't think I ever got good....maybe a couple of songs were recognizable?? I gave up that instrument pretty quickly...maybe partially due to the nail thing..but probably because I enjoyed my other 2 instruments just a bit more.

So that's the story of the only time I've ever cut my nails....

Elaine this blog is dedicated to you and your precious Daphne. I promise I won't claw her with my crack nail when I finally get to hold her:)

4 comments:

Me Minami said...

Ha ha hah haaaaaaa.

Janelle said...

Few thoughts:

*I didn't know you actually cut any of those bad boys!
*SO true about Simpson guitar players
*don't know that we really need to cap on FL like that ;)

*My nails were always super long growing up... but I stabbed my brother a few too many times and my mom made me cut them off. So sad.
*I miss you

Kelley said...

Ha! I DO remember you having long nails. I also remember doing a piano duet of Over The Rainbow together when we both had Mrs. Renaud.

Diana said...

Yep... still have that scar on my arm from the time you clawed me because I made you so mad....hahaha