Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Restless

So I haven't finished part II of my last blog, but its been a week and half and I just have not felt compelled to sit down and write it..its floating in my head so maybe I'll do it soon. But for now....
I'm feeling restless...2 years ago this week I was on a plane via Swiss Air to go live and study in Jerusalem, Israel. I have traveled and seen a lot, but those 3 1/2 months truly changed my life forever...much more than any other experience in my life. The war with Lebanon was supposedly on a cease fire...everyone I talked to had a relative living there(I was living in NY at the time), or thought I was completely insane because I might get killed in the war(safest city in that whole region is Jerusalem..really)...but I got on that plane because I knew it was where I was supposed to be...I knew its where God wanted me. 2 years ago this week I arrived in a city that is unlike any other. The 3 monotheistic religions that claim it as their holy city, the spiritual and cultural tensions of thousands of years of fighting...it was by far the hardest place I have ever lived. One second I'd be on a bus with Arab music ringing in my ear, the next I'm flashing my blue passport at an Israeli guard in order to enter a third world country(Israel is not one!) with dusty dirty streets with the feel of oppression heavy on my heart. One minute I'd be walking these dirty streets, the next I'd be going through the sterile security building in order to get back on a bus and ride by the wealth and privilege of a whole other people group. One minute I'd be hearing the call to prayer, the next I'd be standing at the Wailing wall, my heart crying for every lost Jew who thinks they are now closer to God by touching that wall. One minute I'd be haggling taxi prices in Arabic, the next I'd be listening to the harsh sounds of "s'leexa" as a young Jewish girl would push by me.....

Not only did I find one of my best friends in Jerusalem, but I found my heart, my love for a language, a people group, a cause to fight against, a purpose.....

.....and so I'm restless...I want to get on a plane and live in my element again. To live and breathe the international city life of culture clashes and spiritual tensions. These last couple of days I've been struggling. It's easy to think I'm making a difference when I'm in the middle of poverty, oppression, and the lost people that my heart loves so much. Its sometimes hard to find that sense of purpose here...to believe that I am making a difference..even in suburb America....and so I'm restless.....

4 comments:

Andres said...

Hi Sara so cool to read about Israel from someone who has been there. I get to go in 3 weeks and do a photo tour of the place. Can't wait to capture the place. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Jeff said...

We are feeling restless as well. It is hard since we are just now settling in up here, but we definitely feel the restless urge to go back overseas and serve the people we love over there. I wish I could say something to make it better, but I guess we are just "ruined" for life in the USA. We hope and pray that you get to go back there soon to continue sharing God's heart with others.

sarah said...

Sometimes this place you are in right now can be the best time to learn. It's often easy to walk with the Lord and do His work when it is obvious, but it's what you do and how you live in the down time that can grow you the most! You truly have to rely on Him because you feel like you are walking around in the dark!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Jenna said...

i know sarah, and i'm sorry it's so hard right now...

but, well... i'm glad you're here...