Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pleasure Reading

"Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had"

Read this in high school English but thought it was time for a re-read...
So its been a long while since I've read for pleasure...the last time was the year after I graduated from college. I lived with 20 Thai girls...four Thai channels on TV..and so I ate up all the books I borrowed from the English church library and my friends' bookshelves. Then I went back to school and for some reason when you're required to read a ton of stuff..its really hard to just pick up a book just for the fun of it....but its been a year since I've been in school and I'm slowly starting to get back into my love for reading again. I love reading, always have...in elementary school I'd always win the bookworm contest for most books read:)...those were the days....
currently reading F. Scott Fitzgerald...love him...the way he writes, words things..it magically flows beautifully...:)
"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes but after a certain point I don't care what it's found on...If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him, some heightened sensitivity to the promises of life, as if he were related to one of those intricate machines that register earthquakes ten thousand miles away...it is what preyed on Gatsby, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short-winded elations of men."




No comments: