Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Why a Tuesday?

In the last week, I've been asked two questions more times than I can count.
1. Why is the voting day Tuesday?--mostly asked by English speaking non-Americans.  To which I honestly confess I do not know--I'm not very American.

2. Will you go to the Embassy and vote?--mostly asked by Jordanians who find the US embassy here an intimidating presence, but stand in awe of it.  It only takes up a giant corner section of the city.
Also some of those that asked me were American Arabs themselves and told me they used to go to the Embassy years ago and vote.  If only it were that easy.  Then I confess again, that no, I won't because you can't do that now.  And I didn't plan ahead and write a request for an absentee ballot--that which I have to mail in from here.  I think I could have taken that to the Embassy to mail fast, but who knows.   Voting was the last thing on my mind these last two months.


So no I didn't vote (I told you already I wasn't very American), but it's hilarious how many people have asked me what I think, though before I can share they offer their two cents on the candidates.  To all my fellow Americans, I know we all live in our lovely bubble of cush and food across the sea, but it's crazy how much the world watches us.  I don't know who's more anxious my friends on facebook voting or my friends here watching the news. Given the poll I took from all those offering their preference, it looks to be Obama in the lead. Though they say it grudgingly.  They aren't as hyped about him as they used to be.  Specifically the Palestinians, who know he's better than "that other guy", but they've lost hope that anything really can be done.  You and me both my friend.  You and me both.

So #6---I'm thankful today to be an American.  It's a privilege and a curse, and that little blue passport carries great power.  "With great power comes great responsibility". Right? I'm thankful for my freedom to be able to type and blog this without persecution. I'm thankful that I don't live in a country that's ruled by a dictator killing my loved ones, or surrounded by walls unable to leave my city.  I'm thankful for the freedom I have to believe what I believe, to live in a country that empowers me as a women and lets me vote.  I'm thankful to be an American today.  I know who would have ever thought you'd hear that.  But as I'm learning lately, we are what God made us and we are where God puts us. Why live in denial until it hurts.  Embrace it and start living who, where, and what we were meant to be.

No comments: