Little "Wooly" as I named him ended up dead on Friday. Thursday was late holiday celebrating and so I didn't get home til 3am. I was downtown with a friend whose husband owns a shop down there. Walked all around looking at what was for sale, ate a hummus and falafal dinner-at 11pm, ate some ice cream-at 1am, discussed Israeli-Palestinian politics-2am, Arabic dance party, and at 3am I crashed into bed.
Woke up that morning to hear the excited voices of children much like those on Christmas morning. Only this excitement was "the sheep is ready to be killed!". I looked out my window and saw lots of boys gathered around Wooly. 10minutes later he was gone and I thought good, they took him to the slaughter place. 10minutes later I looked out and there he was hanging....dead. Getting skinned.
Not everyone sacrifices a sheep every year because it's actually really expensive. 400dollars to buy a sheep and then pay to have him slaughtered and cut up. Many families go in on it together.
All day Friday all I saw was sheep skins piled up....kinda gross.
Happy Eid!
RIP Wooly.

No comments:
Post a Comment