Saturday, June 16, 2012

Summer



It's been over 100 today and while I do love the heat, the two oscillating fans blowing on me is a bit ridiculous.  Seriously, my candles are melting.  I have this friend(you know who you are) who upon hearing I didn't have AC suggested putting a bowl of ice cubes in front a fan.  He's convinced it's the best idea ever, but I've yet to try it and be convinced.  BUT tonight it is freakin hot and I'm gonna try it...if I can find some ice cubes...

This heat makes me miss California, my friends and my community there.  I miss hot summer nights where you walk out of the house at midnight and it's still in the 90's.  I miss actually being able to hang out OUTSIDE after dark.  I miss camping under the stars and Saturdays spent all day at the lake causing a week of suffering with sunburn until you do it all over again the next weekend.  I miss summer dresses, black tea lemonades, and chatting for hours on the Starbucks patio.

I miss the humid east coast and the crazy thunderstorms. The greenness after being surrounded by brown, brown, brown, all day that takes your breathe away.  I miss dinners on the porch, corn on the cob, and the fireflies.  Twice I've thought I've seen fireflies here and I seriously got so excited.

But you did not click on my blog to read about what I miss, but I had to get it out somehow.  Everyone here is packing up, going back to the states to see family, taking a summer vacation. I'm missing the epic annual family summer vacay right now so my heart is a little sad.

 Why? because my job is to take people who've decided not to spend a summer vacationing and help them spend a summer working, teaching, and learning about this new country they've traveled too.  Some of these people get 2 weeks off a year and they've chosen to spend those two weeks here, teaching English and loving on the students and the people of this country.  Love it.

I love talking with them after and hearing the things they are taking away, because it's always so different than one would expect.  It's perhaps the littlest detail of a conversation, or a small event that took place..that someone like me who's seen the same thing every day doesn't even notice.  Seeing these things through fresh eyes is a good thing, and maybe that's one of the reasons I believe in my job.  That even though it is SO much work organizing people to come out here for the summer...seriously. so much work.  The things they take away, the lessons they learn, the things THEY show ME, and the things they'll carry back in their hearts make it worth it.  They're carrying a piece of the world with them now..and THAT is so valuable.

1 comment:

Juliette said...

It brought tears to my eyes to think of those people spending their summer vacation with such God purpose. That's what really matters right? Vacations are great too, and needed, but the sacrifice is really beautiful. I love how you are there to meet these people in the place of their sacrifice.