Thursday, February 3, 2011

Un-political views of politics


I never used to care about American politics. I didn't grow up hearing about the President; the good and bad he was doing for the country. I didn't even know there was a Pledge of Allegiance until the third grade when I found myself with nothing to say as students all around me had hands to their hearts. Maybe my apathy to American politics had to do with my upbringing, but I think some of it had to do with my mindset. I never saw myself living in the United States for the rest of my life so why concern myself with things that don't concern me?

Then I moved to Jerusalem and saw first hand how my government and
the policies it endorses affect the livelihood of people all over. I saw my government hated, beloved, ridiculed, and praised. Politics all of a sudden got personal. I realized that with my new-found love for the Middle East I was going to have to begin the love/hate relationship with American politics. I was going to have to read up on foreign policies and peace negotiations. Suddenly my citizenship became important. With my little blue book I had power to move easily through check-points. But with this power came a reality check, and I realized while in some cases entrance is easy in other places, my entrance is strictly forbidden. I again found myself wishing that I didn't carry that little blue book; that I was a citizen of some random neutral country somewhere in the middle of nowhere. But I did have a little blue book and so it was time I took responsibility for my actions, for my thoughts, and for my
votes.

I realized an important fact: that whoever was in power and the policies he or she chose to enforce would affect me more than I realized. I didn't plan on moving to a random island in the middle of nowhere. I planned on living in the Middle East and in the Middle East, politics, my friends, whether you like it or not, is the number one topic of conversation, with religion a close second of course.

When I moved back to the Middle East and visited some surrounding countries, I realized that the little important fact I learned years ago is still in play. In this region, presidents, kings, dictators, and leaders affect all who live here and it's not just limited to their country of residence.

And so with the issues in Egypt, Tunisia, and Yemen, other countries have been affected, WILL be affected. Everyone living in this region is affected, WILL be affected.
I find myself flipping from Al-Jazeera and CNN-the 2 news stations I get-watching the live feed from Cairo. I have been to Cairo, and I have my opinions about the c
ountry and the things I've seen, but I will not subject you to them. I simply hope for the sake of the people and the countries surrounding, that peace will soon come to Egypt.

I will say this though. Yes, Jordan has had protests, but they are mild in comparison, and I really had no idea they were going on. For those of you worried for my safety, don't be. I am safe, probably living in the safest country over here. The news has blown a lot of things way out of proportion, but Jordan has made some changes. We have a new government now and welcomed in a new Prime Minister, but talks are still continuing.

So here I am, an American-who never cared about politics- living in the Middle East, trying to navigate the political complexities that make up this region. It's nothing but fun times.

I'll leave you with this picture. The Christians protecting the Muslims while they pray in the middle of the protest in Cairo. Wow.

2 comments:

sara [at] journey of doing said...

That last image is love.

That's all I can say.

Janelle said...

My first thought when I saw that last picture was along the same lines...Wow, that is great love and a beautiful testimony!