Friday, January 28, 2011

TGIF


In America, Fridays usually mean the weekend is about to commence. Parties, get togethers, no work. free time. So many times, I went to work on a Friday counting down the hours until my freedom.
Here, Fridays are the one day of the week that by law no one has to work. Here Fridays are the ultimate day of rest and quiet. I LOVE Fridays.
  • Traffic filled streets are empty. Taxis are few and far between but no one is fighting over them. Late parties on Thursday night mean that no one gets up before noon on Friday.
  • Stores are closed or open at 2pm.
  • Coffee shops open late.
  • The church bells a few blocks away ring every Friday morning.
  • I have time to thoroughly clean my house.
  • Abdali market is on Fridays and this morning I scored myself some new running shoes.
  • Fridays at 9:30 I meet with my running team at the Sport's complex and we run the track to train for our race.
  • I get to walk the abandoned streets, I get to run, I get to spend time with friends.
Fridays are joyous days for me. Sometimes, its hard to love this city, sometimes its hard to be thankful for the life I've been asked to live. It's hard to navigate the traffic, the taxis, the bustling streets, the language. Fridays are days when my love comes easy, when I find joy in the things I love to do, when I'm thankful for the quiet, for my life. Friday's are a necessary day of perspective when I remember why I'm here and become overwhelmed with thankfulness and get ready to face the next 6 days of the week.

2 comments:

sara [at] journey of doing said...

Now there's a few reasons to REALLY love Fridays!!

Annie said...

Love this post Sarah, what a great practice of Sabbath!