Thursday, February 3, 2011

This years challenge: Dead2Red

As many of you know, last year, Emily and I trained for a half-marathon and completed it successfully which was an amazing feat considering our physical issues-back and hip surgeries. This year's new endeavour: The Dead2Red. A race running from the Dead Sea to the Red Sea. Although I am sad to say that I will be doing this WITHOUT my loyal running buddy. :(
I had never heard of this race until I came here and thought what an amazing thing to say you've done. One of my friends was organizing it and I told her, if you need people I will run it-though inwardly I cringed at that commitment, you'll see why when I explain the process. A spot opened up on the team and there I was all of a sudden committed to run the Dead2Red.

The race route: Running from the Dead Sea to the Red Sea. For those of you wondering that is 242Kilometers. For those of you in America that is 150miles. "The run starts from Wadi Moujeb Bridge on the shores of the Dead Sea at an altitude of -415m below sea level. From there teams make their way through the Wadi Araba to an altitude of +120m above sea level before descending towards the shores of the Gulf of Aqaba 242 Km away at sea level."

The map: Basically, we will be running right along the border from the two bodies of water. The dead sea is the little body of water on the country borders.
The team: You are allowed up to 10 people on your team. Ideally they should be runners, people in shape, and those not affecting by lack of sleep and harsh conditions. This is obviously not me-starting to realize my craziness yet?

The strategy: Every team has a different strategy, but here's the basic idea. We have 2 vans-5 people in each van. One person runs at a time for a certain amount of distance or time. One van must follow the runner at all times. When runner #1 has finished their allotted run-3km, 3min, 10min-whatever the team strategy is-runner #2 takes their place and so on and so on.

The Time: We have 22 hours to complete this race. We start Thursday at 4pm and are expected to arrive at the finish line in Aqaba at 2pm on Friday. Yes. We run through the night. No, we will not be sleeping that much. Yes, it's a desert and deserts get cold at night. Yes, there are mountains to run through.

The details: There are ridiculous amount of details that go into this race. The vans, the drivers, the running gear, the amount of food and water that we need to supply the vans with, the logistics on lodging when we finally get to Aqaba. There is a lot. I am in charge of food and I am hating that there is not a Sports Authority or speciality running store here. No powerade, gaterade, shotblocks, gels, or things to shoot in your mouth when you need a boost of energy or caffeine. So if ANY of you have any brilliant ideas for energy foods, fruits, and drinks that are capable of making an overnight van trip please let me know.

The training: My team is training for this, but let's be honest, we don't have much time. This race is March 3rd. Yep. One month. The goal is to increase my distance by 2kms every week until race time. I do Jillian Michael's videos twice over in order to get my cardio and core in shape. I am pretty much GOING TO DIE!

But not to worry..I will be blogging my progress and will try and keep you all updated on how much I really am dying. It's gonna be a FUN, BONDING experience that I know I will be glad I did. Someday. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

The Greenfields said...

bananas. wish i could send you some stuff but it's before the Alliance Women's group arrives! bummer. i'm excited for you. we'll be training at the same time!!

Alyssa said...

That is SO CRAZY Sarah!!! What a cool opportunity. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Annette said...

Absolutely Amazing Sarah, so proud of you for diving in! You'll have some tremendous stories to share with your grandkids one day:)