Thursday, February 10, 2011

20 males and 1 female


20:1---It's the common understanding among females in this country that this ratio is not an ideal situation. This ratio is not ideal, but it does happen.
Sometimes on Friday, after noon prayers have let out, a lone girl can find herself on a sidewalk surrounded with men. If this lone girl walks into a restaurant at 10pm she will find 20 pairs of eyes on her wondering why she is there. The Shwarma shack next to my house is often swarmed with at least 20 men at any given time, and it's a tricky game to push your way through to make an order. 20 males to 1 female. This is also the ratio of my English class this semester.

This week was the launch of our English classes. After having a huge turn out for registration, the first day of class came with another onslaught of people ready to sign up for classes. Wednesday, our second night came with even more people wanting to take class. Problem was, we are FULL. I found myself turning people away for a straight 2 hours while others begged to switch classes, begged to let me accept their friends, etc. All night my "icequeen", hard, I'm the boss, exterior was firmly in place yet still trying to maintain a proper level of grace.
Then I stepped into my class. 20 pairs of eyes.
Needless to say I came home on Wednesday night and crashed.

When I tell people how many are in my class and that they are all male, I often get a "wow! how do you like that?" And I tell them what I tell others.
I love it.
I have found I love teaching a class full of males. I taught a class of 12 males last semester and found them to be fun, but dedicated students. My classroom is the one place in this country that I, a female, am in control, the boss, and what I say goes. It's actually quite liberating. There is nothing greater than showing the male population in this country a glimpse of female empowerment and intellect. Showing them that there are strong and capable females in this world that deserve respect. This is how I run my class. A balance of fun, games, learning, and treating each other AND their teacher with respect.

2 comments:

The Greenfields said...

i'm leaving a comment because i heart this post!

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha! This is classic. I am glad you are thriving in being the representation for powerful women! Way to be! And I bless the whole class with the spirit of revelation: men and women as co-reigners. : )