Sunday, November 28, 2010

I miss looking cute


It's true. I miss looking cute; putting new colors together, wear fun head pieces, wearing shoes that match. I know this might sound materialistic, but its not. I'm a girl, I like to wear clothes I feel good in. It's as simple as that. But I live in a place where women are told they are better off invisible. For the sake of protecting family honor, cover it all up and don't let anyone see. I wish I could walk the streets without anyone looking, but I already have points against me. I'm foreign and I'm tall...I already stand out. Though dying my hair darker has helped some of the comments.

I found myself nostalgic of carefree outfits as I was looking at holiday pictures of family and friends. Everyone in a nice warm house-next blog post will be-"I wish I had heat"-dressed up all nice, wearing newly bought holiday outfits.

Mind you, I still think I dress ok..I vowed at an early age to NEVER be someone who goes to live overseas and comes back frumpy. I HATE frumpy overseas workers-there is just no excuse. God gave us creative minds and I like using this creativity when piecing my outfits together. I'm convinced there is always SOMETHING a women can wear that looks nice on her, no matter her body type or age.

But some days I wish I could just wear anything without it getting ruined by smoke from a taxi driver, extra glances from shebab(young men), haramed(shamed) by old ladies when I'm not covering all my arms or wear my cute shoes though I know if I do I'll end up with blisters from all the walking I have to do.

So this is to you my friends who have the luxury of wearing whatever you want. Don't take it for granted, it's a privilege and one I deeply miss.

3 comments:

sara [at] journey of doing said...

An understandable frustration, for sure... and one I need to remember not to take for granted...

Unknown said...

Awe Sarah, I miss looking cute too! And I don't even have the excuse you do. I have to say, there are some days when I walk past the accessories department in any given store and say "see now Sarah could totally pull that off."

Anonymous said...

you are so beautiful. I love your honesty. girl, you will never be that frumpy overseas worker. and i totally understand what you mean. :) i love you. thinking of you. praying for you.