For the last 3 weeks I have been adjusting, moving, learning, and just getting know the area and people. My day has looked different everyday and since the World Cup started, has ended pretty late.
Monday mornings we meet for coffee with some of the Arab ladies for our book club. We are also supposed to read it in English, but some read both. We learn new vocabulary, discuss life questions, drink good coffee. Yesterday I walked into the coffee shop and the first thing one of the women says to me is, "Sarah, you look tired." That is never a good thing to have said to you, especially on Monday morning when the week as just started. And especially on the day that you are supposed to start teaching.
Our 6 weeks of English classes started last night. We run 10 classes, levels 1-4, Sunday-Wednesday night, 5:30-7 or 7:30-9. Then we show the 9:30 World Cup game on a big screen to hundreds of people who come to hang out.
Last weekend I planned out my lessons for the advanced class I was teaching. Monday after coffee, I get a call saying I'm needed to teaching the Level 1 at 5:30 because there are a ton of women in that class. While I was happy about the women part, I was not happy about the having to switch and plan something completely different. But it ended up ok, my class is amazing, and so begins 6 weeks of insanity.
We also have a cooking class we offer the women on Wednesday morning which is really fun. We learn new recipes, eat good food, and have fun. But I think the aprons are the best part:)
No comments:
Post a Comment