Sunday, May 30, 2010

Fun times in airports

I’m sitting in the Frankfurt airport, sleepy and scratchy eyed. I just got off a 10 hour flight from LA and now only 5 hours separate me from getting on a plane that will take me to my new home. My gate is loud, full of crazy children that have been cooped up inside buildings and planes of recycled air too long. The parents have long since given up. I do not envy them. To fly 2 whole days by myself is hard enough, flying with four children in tow, no thank you.

The clock hanging from the ceiling says 7pm. I realize I didn’t get to experience the 29th of May at all. It’s weird to think that all I’ll ever know of this Saturday is 5 hours in an airport in the middle of Germany.

I ate something, read my book, took a walk, now I’m sitting again. Not much to do except watch people and airplanes.

The watching people part is super interesting. Currently at my gate there are a handful of Arab men…who knows what has brought them to this part of the world. There’s a man who just sat down at a table in the corner, looking a bit perplexed, walking to and forth gathering things. Ah, now I have learned the reason for his concern. His MacBook is dying. He has just approached me to borrow my MacBook charger. Where ever you are in the world you’ve got to help out your fellow Mac family. I give him my charger, along with my crazy all in one adapter. He seemed a bit threatened by it at first…it is a bit intimidating. But my little rectangle of plastic has become my new best friend. I switch it to Europe, pull out the coinciding prongs and hand it to him.

There’s a women sitting down the row from me with a gorgeous headscarf and jacket on. I have a feeling I’m going to love watching what these women wear and how they put it together. I love the fabrics, the colors, the way her jacket is exquisite yet defines the very essence of modesty.

As I look up to watch a huge airplane park at the gate across the way, I see a security guard, or maybe just an local airport worker, fly by on his bicycle. Yes, his bicycle, complete with rear basket. And it’s blue in case you are wondering.

Continuing on weird things, what is your opinion of child leashes? I am currently watching a mother walk her 3 year old on a bear leash. I never see more leashes than I do in airports. For some reason they come out in full force, maybe because the parents have so many other things to worry about then trying to prevent their child from running off. I don’t know, but I don’t really agree with them. Maybe this is my ignorant, naive about motherhood mind thinking, but I don’t think leashes are necessary. Now this 3 year old is rolling around on the floor having a huge temper tantrum. Maybe the leash is necessary for this one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha ha, I love reading your insights on airport people. You're right, no matter where you are in the world, there's always a fellow Macbrother or Macsister. Isn't that so interesting? And comforting?

As far as child leashes go, I am still not sure how I feel about them.My firstborn stays amazingly close to my side, and never leaves, but I am thinking this stubborn second child may just have to have a leash.

Because I am pretty sure most moms would rather take the criticism of having their child on a leash instead of the criticism of losing their child in a German airport :)