Monday, December 8, 2008

O Little Town of Bethlehem


Its one of my favorite Christmas songs, and its one of my favorite little towns. And it really is a little town..nestled in the hills 6km away from Jerusalem. Located in what is known as the West Bank, it is a struggling little town filled with wonderful people.

The months that I lived in Jerusalem a few of us would take the Arab bus over and teach a community English class two times a week for a couple of hours. I could talk for hours about this experience and how it changed me, but its just not the same in writing.
We fell in love with Bethlehem, the people, the fact that this little unassuming town was the birthplace for hope. Ironic because the need for hope is evident there. Because when you enter through the checkpoints and walk through the security walls, you see the hunger, the despair, the sadness. But what blows me away is despite their circumstances, the people of Bethlehem know how to love, to warmly welcome you into their lives. Because it's their culture, it's their livelihood. To open their lives, their homes, their hearts to people who show even a fraction of interest in who they are as people. Because they are people.

My two beloved friends Andrea and Dawn are currently living in Bethlehem, loving the people, living their lives with the people of this little town.

Here's the link to their latest video...(can someone show me how to post youtube videos to blogger..cannot figure it out!)...so a link is all I got. Go there, watch it. Its amazing. I see hope.


4 comments:

Jenna said...

"Its"=shows possession

"It's"=contraction for "It is"

Grammar Police... that's my name!
(Just ask Dan)

Jenna said...

P.S.
Bethlehem does sound like an amazing little town... ;)

Sarah said...

well I'm not changing it...

Jenna said...

being stubborn doesn't equal being right.