Thursday, January 16, 2014

The perfect winter

There were two reasons why I was excited to come back to Jordan.

One.  I miss my friends, my work, my LIFE here.  It's where I belong and I missed it.

Two. I was NOT returning to the torturous winter that is Amman winter.  I've moved south which in most countries means warmer weather, longer days, and better winters.  My little port city on the Red Sea does not disappoint.  I'm currently curled up in the sun coming through my patio doors, soaking up the 70 degree heat.
Many are shocked when I tell them the Middle East gets cold.  Well, this portion of it does.
I spent three years suffering through Amman winter, in three different houses no less, though the second was by far the worst.  Picture this: cement houses with no insulation, cold wet rainy days where the temperature doesn't reach above 50.  Soon your house becomes colder inside than outside.  Central heat? what is that? The dampness and coldness gets into your bones, even the clothes in your closet are damp and cold (a hair dryer doesn't just dry hair).  The only time I was ever warm was in a restaurant with heat or underneath my bed covers snuggled with my hot water bottle.  Needless to say, I was thrilled to know that this January I was not going to have to return to that winter.  I am always cold, I hate being cold, and no, putting more clothes on does NOT help.

I've been back for one week. The weather is amazing. Perfect spring weather.  Don't you want to come visit?
 Jet lag has treated me kindly this time around.  I've gone through a week of work and it feels good to be back with everyone.  I've missed the ladies I work with, the fun of designing new products, and the chaos that is our office.  My Arabic needs some dusting off, though it has returned quicker than I thought it would. But haven't forgotten it all!

I'm battling an awful cold and sore throat.  I woke up today with my voice officially gone.  I've been overdosing on halls and drinking vitamin C and have been told by all my Arab mothers what will help it.  Speaking Arabic and doing bank business is pretty impossible when there's no sound coming out. But I made it through the day and now I'm soaking up the sun.  Today is Thursday(our Friday).

TGIT :)


No comments: