Thursday, November 17, 2011

All in an 3aadi day.

Lately I've been trying to document the weird things that happen. Sometimes it's the completely 3aadi (normal) things that really in any other context are a bit weird.
So I took a video of the protests that were taking place on the corner of my street last week. Because you know, driving down the street and getting a FYI-protest on our corner text-is completely 3aadi. It's a chicken video because I didn't want to go out on the street and get into the action. Hey, I had just gotten home and changed into my "clothes I wear inside the house to survive its tundra-like qualities" and didn't really want to change again. I tried to upload it, but it wasn't working so there's a picture instead. Apparently there were lots of scuffles and people who were unhappy with how Al-jazeera had been protraying Syria were storming the building and employees were keeping them away with fire estinguishers. Hilarious. All in a 3aadi day.

Or at 7pm at night answering a knock on the door to discover a tiny old man saying "give me my money". Just the landlord. But ok. Sure. I'll just shell out 3 months rent for you and make you sign a hastily written contract. Out in the hall. Because I'm the only one home. Sure. Don't bother to call ahead..I totally didn't need to be prepared or anything. 3aadi.

Water-we get water once a week. It stays stored in a tank on my roof and you just pray that you won't run out by the time next week comes. Wednesday is laundry day, and pour giant buckets of water down the street because yes, I'm washing this small square of floor and oh yeah this car. Come to my street on Wednesday and you'd never know I live in a desert and that we have a water shortage. It's true.

So I have this heater. In the back of it sits a giant gas tank..to which I open the valve(let the gas out)..give it a little spark and a flame shoots out-heating the coils being it. Totally safe. Open aired flame. Carbon monoxide flooding the room with a giant gas tank. Totally 3aadi. But hey, it's either this or see my breath inside the house. I'll choose this.
I finally discovered the salon of my dreams...they make you look like Brad Pitt...wonder if there's a girl version.
I think I'm gonna try and see if this store needs any creative space design help. I've been known to give a thrilling lecture on the color wheel..maybe the same goes for mannequins in store windows.
I walked up my alleyway the other week..on the way to catch a taxi. The smell of blood. The sound of hacking. Oh yeah..lots of men just chopping up a sheep..3aadi. I really do live in a modern city..I promise. And no, no picture of that..I sped up and quickly passed by..bleh.
But here's a picture of a sheep in the back of the truck...on his way to his doomed future.

The other week my 40 year old taxi driver got into a little love telephone convo with his girlfriend..he was asking her how her Hajj(journey to Mecca) went, and asking about all the details. It was actually rather cute..him talking on the phone, shifting a car, peeling an orange, and drinking his bottled water(healthiest cab driver I've ever had-totally not 3aadi)...and counting to 3 to hang up because neither of them wanted to hang up first.

So there ya go, some random stories for your day. Sometimes I marvel at the things that I face and experience everyday. I really need to do a better job writing them down because these small stories really don't do justice to the things I see and experience on a daily basis.
But I'm thankful for the opportunity to live this life. Wouldn't want to be doing anything else.

5 comments:

Mimi Moseley said...

That was great! I love that you write 3aadi. I'm trying to pronounce it so I can say "normal". Wondering if all this 3aadi cracks you up throughout the day? If it weren't so serious, I'd be laughing. Love the 3 second wait before the hang up.
Big hug to you. Praying lots of fun 3aadi stories today.
Love,
MIMI

Sarah said...

Yes Mimi, I crack up everyday...gotta laugh you know?:) it's just to ridiculous not to. thanks for the hug and prayers..love you.

sara [at] journey of doing said...

Okay... so I have to admit, I've had to come back and read this MULTIPLE times just to get all of it.

You really should write a book once your time there is complete. I would buy it.

I just marvel at how different the world is half a world away. It's incredible.

Dawn said...

hahahahaha. YES! I laughed out loud numerous times. Somewhere there is probably a reverse blog in which someone from the Middle East goes into an 3aadi American city and goes into a store called "Target" which has nothing to do with archery, and is confronted with 40 types of shampoo, "all-natural" chicken, and a self checkout. : )

i love cultural "norms." It's a bit like how easily people talk about bombings and terrorists here in Iraq. So, yesterday I was coming home from work, but I got delayed an hour because a bomb was placed at a checkpoint and 8 people were killed. The person then goes casually on to, "Wow. Dinner tasted really good after all that waiting, I was really hungry."

Unknown said...

Oh memories, it makes me want to come visit you so badly! I definitely remember thinking "what do my lungs look like" as I repeatedly tried to press the two buttons on my gas heater in the magical pattern to get it to light.