Thursday, March 10, 2011

manna


Last weekend my team, "Bad Idea" finished our ultra marathon from the Red Sea to the Dead Sea and did quite well actually. I know I need to blog on it, and hopefully one will come soon.

Right now I have a lot of things I should be doing, but all I want to do it curl in a ball and fall asleep. The cold rainy weather probably is not helping this dilemma. Obviously everyone has their good days and bad days, but my days have just been discouraging and a bit stressful as I run this marathon sprint of things to do before I leave here.

Language classes have been so frustrating. I feel like I'm never gonna get it and feel so behind all the time. I want nothing more than to master this language or at least become competent, and every time I go to class I feel further and further from this goal. I'm finding it harder and harder to brush off the annoying cultural things-like can't I just buy my groceries in peace today without harassment, without the stares? that's all I ask.

Exodus 16-the Lord gave the Israelite bread in the morning and quail at night. I read this story today and what struck me was that He didn't give them any less or any more than they needed. He gave them what they needed just for that day. But there were those that hoarded and kept some for the next day; lacking in faith, refusing to believe that He would provide again the next morning. It was those stock piles that became rotten.
As hard as it is right now, I'm trying to thank him for the little things. I'm trying to see the little gifts he gives me to make it through my day. Even it's just a quiet, unharassed taxi ride with a respectful driver to start off my morning, I'll take it.
"Tell them, ‘At twilight you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be filled with bread. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God.’”

No comments: