
I’m sitting in Starbucks right now. Some of you can argue and lament about the effect of westernization on the world and how it takes away from the authenticity of culture, and most times I would agree with you. Seeing McDonalds on the street corner does take away from the beautiful landscape that is a city in general. But today I will argue in favor of Starbucks and the fact that this coffee empire has taken over the world is a good thing. I can walk into any Starbucks, in any city, and order an iced caramel macchiato and it will pretty much be the same drink. However, I do miss the fall; the beauty that is fall and winter at Starbucks. I wait every year for the red cups to come out and to finally be able to order a gingerbread latte. Heavenly. A pumpkin spice latte? What is that? Fall smells and spices? No. It’s the same old same old caramel macchiato today…but I can’t complain.
Today I didn’t have any plans until later this evening. So I hopped into a taxi and made my way to the nearest Starbucks, which is also rumored to be the biggest in the world. Not sure how true that is, but it is quite grand. Second floor, way in the back, big purple chairs, I can get lost and it’s a beautiful thing. I can be my white female self, undisturbed, away from the ogling eyes of the entire male population. Yes, Starbucks is a good thing today. Sometimes, you just need to get away from your neighborhood, from people in general, and just disappear. This lifestyle of mine comes with many many eyes, and not just here in Jordan.
I wish that I could blog about EVERYTHING that is happening here. I wish that could blog about the truer things that exist in my heart, in my life here, but I can’t. So today, you get a semi-surface blog about my love for Starbucks. Mabruuk!
No comments:
Post a Comment