Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day in a life of...


Today is water day, which means I get to do my laundry, take as many showers as I want and clean as much as I can. For a full 24 hours water is pumped into a tank on our roof, and so for a full 24 hours we have as much water as we want. Everyone in this city gets excited on water day. Cars are washed, floors are washed, driveways are sprayed. In a desert city full of dust, water is a treasured thing.
(Luckily we get semi-cleaner water than that picture-that's my feet in the Jordan River)

I need to run errands today, trying to get things done before Ramadan. Its crazy how much Ramadan is like Christmas. I was over at a friend's house last night and the TV was on and commercial after commercial was advertising for Ramadan. There are sales galore in the stores, people buying gallons of food, and everyone is wishing everyone a happy eid. Its funny how the commercialism has overtaken something that is supposed to be refocusing your heart and life on God.

Its been really hot these last few days and my house is a sauna. I live on the second floor and there is no airflow. But even if there was airflow the breeze coming through would be a hot. In an effort to keep the house cool, the abijars(metal gates on the outside of the windows) are pulled down, curtains shut, and fans are blowing. It sort of makes for a depressing state as the sunlight is shut out. Today is only supposed to be 98, which after days over 100 is looking quite nice. Makes me appreciate California central air a whole lot more now. This summer, so I'm told has been an unusually hot one. Which means August is going to be a miserable one as the last two weeks are supposed to be the hottest in the year. But as most of you know, I would much rather be hot than cold:) So really can't complain much.

I'm still counting down the days til Egypt. One, because I'm excited to wear shorts and t shirts..its the simple things really that bring me joy:) and Two-I love the beach. It's strange to think that when I was little my parents were going to these kind of meetings. Its weird to be on the other end..instead of going to the events organized for children I have to go sit in the adult meetings..makes me feel old and at the same time not old enough. Five more days..I can make it!

4 comments:

sara [at] journey of doing said...

Wow. Water day. Now that's something we definitely take for granted here!! Every day is water day.

I hope you have a safe trip to Egypt. I'm insanely jealous. :)

It's been really hot here too. Not just Texas hot... but like, RIDICULOUSLY hot. I got in my car the other day after it had been sitting out, and the thermosat read 122. Seriously?! It's been over 100 every day since Sunday, and with the humidity, it's a beating!

Unknown said...

Sarah, is going to Egypt like counsel or something? Sounds like fun.... I mean the beach part not the meetings.

Water day once a week? I'm not sure how I would survive. I need to be clean.... like a lot.

Sarah said...

yes..kind of like that..but just for the middle east
ps. I take showers everyday...its just I can take extra long ones on wednesdays:)

Jen said...

stop changing your background :) haha and are those veggie chips on the left? mm they loook good.. you know the kind that are spinich, sweet potatoe, potatoe chips? lightly salt with natural sea salt?
your such a health nut, didn't know you liked chips so much to put them on your background.
haha have fun in egypt. love you!
Chipmcgee