Monday, February 2, 2009

Disconnect?

Ok so first things first. I'm gonna ditto some blogs:) Elaine and Shelby posted about our fun Saturday adventure way before me and being as I haven't had time to upload my photos yet, you'll have to go to their blogs to hear about..for now. I promise I will post pics and even videos soon! and write a whole blog about what was REALLY going on between the Rangers soon.

Now I'm gonna blog about a conversation that I seem to be having with a ton of people lately. This idea of relationships, the desire in a women's heart to feel connected to people, to a community, to a person. I've heard many a woman say she wishes she felt more connected and then many a person ask, what do you mean by that? because it seems that this woman is really connected. She seems to have friends and seems to be really involved in activities. Why does she feel disconnected?

Common answer: It has to be she's disconnected with God. If you're not connected with God then how can you be connected with his community?

My answer: I just have to get this off my chest. I don't think it's a disconnect with God at all. Yes, while I agree this may be a factor is SOME people's lives, the majority feel disconnected because they ARE women. Honestly, I think every woman at some point feels disconnected with their environment, with their friends, with their community. Working and talking with enough women will show you...every woman has that deep desire within her to be known, to develop deep intimate relationships with others, to be loved, to love. I think that for each woman this looks differently depending on how God wired and created her, but that deep desire to be in relationship is there. It's how we as women were created, it's why we were created, it's how God reflects Himself in us.
But something within us broke at the Fall and I don't think we've been the same since. Suddenly, women have become controlling, manipulative, fearful, and insecure. I think that God's desire for every woman is that we live out deep relationships with people, to live in intimacy with others. But we are human, we live in a fallen world, and so much of how we live this out is broken. What God gives us is good and we as broken people sometimes don't do it right. But what's amazing about God is that He desires to redeem and heal anything that is broken, anything that wasn't originally there. I think every woman on this planet has been hurt in relationships, sadly it's a fact of life, and sometimes we allow that broken spot, that hurt to never be healed. And so begins a cycle of disconnect, a pattern of living that we can't get out of, or feelings that come back when we thought they were gone.

All that to say....wanting relationships, intimacy, connection are all characteristics of being a woman. And the enemy has tried to take it away, to keep us broken, to keep us feeling disconnected..because this affects us to the very core of who were are as women. I know that even in my own life, without deep relationship, without the opportunity to live out the way God created my heart, I almost become paralyzed.....

I could go on, but blogs are kind of public and while yes, I am quite an open person if you get me talking, I think I'll save the rest for face to face conversation.

Went in a different direction that I thought I would with all that, but yeah, really just needed to get that off my chest cuz I'm tired of hearing people say that disconnection is a disconnect with God. I've probably never been closer to God than I am right now in this time of growing...and I can honestly say that most times I still feel very disconnected.

7 comments:

hannahrae said...

This mirrors several of our conversations Sarah...and I think you hit the nail right on the head with this one. Good word...something I need to be reminded of often...that we all go through this, we're not all alone.

I've also realized that when I am not connected with women or people in general I feel disconnected from God...like you said, it's not the other way around.

Love you! and coffee soon? I believe the Lancer Starbucks patio is calling our name (but we won't dare go inside)!

Sarah said...

please..Lancers is calling our name! I drove by today and heard it...

Unknown said...

Sarah, as usual, I love what you said. I have been feeling this way for some time now, but have never fully given it a name. Disconnect is exactly what I have felt, and still feel. And I agree with you on all points. God DID create us as women to have deep and meaningful relationships. And Satan can definitely use that desire against us. These are powerful words, and ones I needed to hear. I echo your sentiments, and would love to chat with you about them sometime.

sarah said...

I totally agree.

I'm curious as to how many times you've heard this...

Sarah said...

my fingers can't even begin to count:)

Heather said...

Amen sister friend! :)
I agree with you 100%! It was really good chatting with you about this. I feel like God is really shedding light to it.

bETH vAUGHN said...

Sarah! I totally agree. This has always been my (possibly heretical) interpretation of Eve's "product of the fall". Men think it's about control. We don't want that. We just want the intimate relationship. Eve's desire would be for her husband, but he would rule over her instead of having that completely simbiotic relationship we were talking about the other day. (side note: I do think this applies to all relationships here on earth because at that time Adam was the only other person Eve had.) SO anyways, to echo your words, here's to fighting back the effects of the fall and bringing his kingdom here on earth! Let's do everything we can to develop and encourage those deep relationships!

PS thanks for doing so much for so many women. love you.