Monday, February 18, 2008

I can't move




I had this glorious Monday off..So today I went on a hike with some friends. I love California...I especially love this area of California where 20 minutes away are a plethora of hiking trails and scenic views. We were going to hike Kanaka Peak(I apologize for the spelling-I don't pretend to know) but the park ranger on the phone was a butthead when we ask about the conditions..so we went with Elaine's 2nd choice. She found us a hike that was 8 miles long give or take, but if the road was closed then it would be a total of 10.8. Yes.. of course the road was closed so we parked the truck at the gate and started up the mountain. 3 hours later..Shelby is cursing Elaine in her head and we are wondering if we are even on the right trail-this is because we came to a fork and the place where a trailhead sign should have been- instead there was only a post and some gum. We opted for the right-hoping we were right. It's at this point that we find bike tracks and start following them. Now mind you, we have hiked straight up the mountain and never reached a peak before we started descending steeply down. It was lame! I see no point in hiking up if not to reach anything substantial. Now on our descent we see bike tracks. How on earth this guy road his bike up the mountain and then down is hard enough if the trail was normal, but it's not. There's still a ton of snow in random places and fallen trees. Trees so huge there's no way around them. What was seriously hysterical though was every time we clamored through the broken branches and crawled over logs to continue on the trail we'd find bike tracks on the other side! The only option was that this guy literally picked his bike up and threw it to the other side. We can barely walk through the 3 feet of snow..how this guy rode his bike through it...who knows! 7 miles later-we started at 10 its now 3pm. We have reached our final road. We have followed biker guy the whole way along with bear tracks, hoping that the bear wasn't still around. Our final road is not some easy "we're almost there" road. No we have to get to the other side of the mountain and that means we need to go up it and then down the other side. Its at this point that everytime we came around a bend we just laughed more because we were all about to cry. 61/2 hours later we made it back to the truck-we hiked for 11 miles if not more...it was fun but I'm not holding my breath to hike it again. This loop is lame-didn't even get to see the supposed view. If you're wondering what trails to hike at Whiskeytown..call me..I'll let you know what not to do. My final question is this: what do the park rangers there do? They don't put up signs, clear the fallen trees, and keep the roads closed?
sooo 61/2 hours later-11 miles later-my legs feel like they are going to fall off but it was a great day of not working. I will post pictures later once I get my camera back!

No comments: