Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Culture Shock











So I've been in California for a couple of weeks or so..have lived here before but have done quite a lot since I've last lived here, and have become such a different person. The culture on the west coast is so different than the east coast...and the culture is northern california is even more different. One thing I do love though...movies here are only 7.25..that's a weekend and not a matinee...I'm surprised that I haven't gotten a speeding ticket or in an accident yet. I think I drive a bit too agressive for this area..but seriously people..I have places to go and when i'm on the freeway I expect to go the speed limit at least!

Since leaving California 3 years ago I moved to Chiang Mai, Thailand..then to New York...then to Jerusalem, Israel...back to New York...and now Redding, California. Other places here and there along with those moves...I have yet to live for an entire year in one place...without going anywhere...

I've decided I hate the transition of moving to a new place, but thrive on it at the same time. I love the idea of discovering the mysteries of new cities, learning how to blend and communicate with the people, and learning what makes them tick. But at the same time there comes a time when you're in transition where you have a mild freak out where you're not sure if you can handle it. Like if one more Thai person calls me fat, or one more Israeli pushes past me on the sidewalk, or if one more Arab man leers at me, or if one more pick up druck goes 30 mph on the freeway!!
Transition is one of those awesome things that completely stretches a person, grows a person up, teaches a person great lessons, but has got to be one of the hardest things about life.








No comments: